Lionel Messi smashed through the 300-goal mark with a brace as Barcelona crushed Rayo Vallecano 5-0 in Madrid.
Messi’s goals were the 300th and 301st of his career, a total made up of 270 for Barcelona and 31 for Argentina in only 419 matches. They also took him to 13 in the league this season and 73 in all competitions in 2012 (club and country).
Here are some stats on Messi’s new landmark, published by @InfostradaLive:
• Messi’s 301 goals per weekday: Sat (109), Sun (70), Wed (70), Tue (40), Fri (7), Mon (4), Thu (1)
• Breakdown of Messi’s 300 goals: 246 left foot – 40 right foot – 12 headers – 1 body – 1 hand
Barcelona recorded their first win of the new Champions League campaign last night with a 3-2 win over Spartak Moskva, who had been 1-2 up with half an hour to play. Lionel Messi came to the rescue with two goals to secure three points for the Catalan side.
Here are some of the Messi facts after the victory over the Russian side:
• Messi scored his 52nd and 53rd Champions League-goal for Barcelona, in 69 matches.
• Messi has now scored at least 2 goals in a Champions League match for the 14th time and has equalled the CL record held by Raúl.
• Messi took his tally for Barcelona in this season to 10 goals in 7 official matches. Including his 2 goals in 3 matches for Argentina he has already scored 12 times this season.
• Messi scored his winning goal against Spartak with a header, his 11th headed goal for Barcelona (out of 263).
• Thanks to the goals of Messi Barcelona remain unbeaten in 17 consecutive CL games in Camp Nou (W14 D3). Last defeat: 20 Oct 2009 (Rubin Kazan, 1-2).
Barcelona continued their great start to the league season with a fourth consecutive victory, beating Getafe 1-4 on Saturday. Messi broke his own goal scoring record for a calendar year by registering his 60th and 61st goal of 2012.
Here are some of the Messi facts after Barça’s 1-4 victory over Getafe:
• For the first time after 36 consecutive starts for Barcelona, Messi started an official match as a substitute.
• When Messi came into action from the bench, he played his 54th match as a substitute for Barcelona (out of 335 official matches in total).
• For the 5th time in his Barcelona career Messi scored twice as a substitute. He also scored 2 goals as a sub against Real Mallorca (2006, 0-3), Shakhtar Donetsk (2008, 1-2), Racing Santander (2009, 1-2) & Osasuna (2012, 4-0).
• Messi took his tally for Barcelona this season to 8 goals in 6 official matches. Including his 3 international games for Argentina this season, Messi is already in double digits: 10 goals.
• Messi scored his 174th and 175th goal for Barcelona in La Liga. He needed 218 matches to reach that mark.