This was Messi’s first ever hat-trick for Barcelona, against Real Madrid in the 2006-07 season (3-3). Enjoy!
Another Lionel Messi hat-trick helped Barcelona to a smooth victory at Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday. The in-form Argentine striker registered his 30th hat-trick for the Catalan club and his treble at the Riazor took his tally for the La Liga season to 19 in as much games. Here are some facts on Sunday’s game.
● Messi has now scored 28 goals for Barcelona this season. He has 19 goals in la Liga, 1 in the Copa del Rey and 8 in the UEFA Champions League. He needed 26 games for his 28 goals.
● This was Messi’s 22 hat-trick in La Liga. He’s only one treble short of equalling the record of current rival Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo (23). Messi is now tied with Telmo Zarra (Athletic Bilbao) and Alfredo Di Stéfano (Real Madrid).
● Including his appearances for Argentina, Messi has now registered 33 career hat-tricks (3+ goals in a single game). He has 28 games with 3 goals, 4 games with 4 goals and 1 game with 5 goals.
● Messi tied Zarra’s record of 76 braces (2+ goals in a single game) in La Liga history. Because of these braces, Messi’s new nickname is The Dentist.
● Messi has now scored 4 hat-tricks this season, all with Barcelona. He scored 3 goals against Sevilla (5-1), APOEL Nicosia (0-4), Espanyol (5-1) and Deportivo (0-4). Not a single one of these 12 goals came from the penalty spot.
Lionel Messi will reach the magical mark of 500 games in his professional career when Barcelona face AC Milan at the Camp Nou on Wednesday. Continue reading
Last year at the beginning of November, Lionel Messi had already scored 73 goals in 56 games for Barcelona and Argentina in the year that would bring him world fame. With a total of 91 goals in 69 appearances Messi sailed past Gerd Müller’s world record of 85 goals in a single calendar year.
The Argentine striker scored 73 of those 91 goals on behalf of Barcelona, which gave him another world record: most club goals scored by a player in a single season. He beat Archie Stark’s previous best for Bethlehem Steel in the 1924-25 American Soccer League (70 goals). Continue reading
The Argentine striker, who had a big hand in two of Barcelona’s three goals in Vigo, played his 392nd official game for the Blaugranas and is currenty on 83 international appearances for Argentina. Continue reading